As you know, I lost 2 cockatiels recently, I am still fairly worried about my other birds, I have moved the senegal parrot into a separate room from the budgies, who lived (and are still living) in the same cage as the cockatiels. However, having not known the cause of death for my cockatiels, I'm still fairly on edge with the rest of the remaining birds. They seem tireder than usual, but I'm not sure if this is paranoia, genuine tiredness or a subtle sign of illness. Unfortunately the nearest avian vet is >2 hours away, and the normal vets that I have taken my birds to are not very familiar with birds and bird illnesses. How long should I wait for, to be sure that the birds are not ill and can be housed back in the same room? Should I run tests on my birds i.e. Psittacosis shares symptoms that Sunny was displaying; diarrhoea, tiredness, respiratory distress. However these could have been due to the suspected respiratory infection and antibiotics that she was on as a result. - I've found a lab that I can send samples to in the UK, without going through the vet.
I'm just at a loss for what to do for the best, to keep my remaining birds healthy.
In my opinion the best thing you can do for your birds is to travel the 2+ hours to see the avian vet. Of course you could always just send samples off but when the results come back, whatever they say you are going to have to go to the vet anyway. If the results say they have psittacosis then you need treatment, if they say that they don't and they still don't look right you need to get them looked at. The labs can test for all sorts of things, literally hundreds of things and lots of diseases/viruses/infections will have these kind of general unwell symptoms. An avian vet will be able to tell you what tests would be best for them and give you any other advice you might need, you'll be able to ask any questions you like.
The quarantine period should be at least 30 days to be on the safe side.
I hope your other birds are healthy and don't get ill.... good luck
Thankyou very much for your advice. It has been two weeks, and all remaining birds seem fine. I will keep the parrot and the budgies separate for at least another two weeks. I feel that it is probably not going to be beneficial to run any tests at this time on the remaining birds, but if the parrot starts showing signs of illness I will take him straight to the avian vet.
Again, thanks for the support in this difficult time, I really appreciated it.